Rubies

July Birthstone Ruby

Rubies are expected to rule over all other gemstones, as it is popularly known as the king of gems. This July gemstone is one of the most sought after gemstones in the world, that too for good reason. Even now, Rubies are considered the most powerful gem in the universe. No wonder it is the gemstone of royalty. If a ruby is given in love, it symbolizes vitality and passion.

Rubies are an empowering stone that give the wearer the strength to overcome martyrdom and escape self-inflicted suffering. The stone inspires self-love and give a person the courage to reach their potential and become the person they want to be.

In several cultures, rubies are also thought to offer protection, especially if worn on the left hand. If a person owned a ruby, it allowed them to live in peace with their enemies. Their rank and their land would be protected from natural disasters and attack. Rubies were often laid beneath buildings for added fortification.

               Heart Ruby Medium Pinkish Red 2.39 cts. 8 X 8.5 MMPear Ruby Deep Red 3.01 cts. 11 X 6.5 MM

The reason for attributing with this character to the Rubies is because is that it has a hardness of 9 on the Mohs hardness scale making them are a very durable and uncomplicated stone to own. A ruby gets its color from the presence of chromium. Unfortunately, the chromium also makes rubies prone to cracks and fissures so stones that are larger than 4 carats are exceedingly rare.

That does not mean the rubies above 5 carats are not uncommon but the conditions need to produce them, especially without inclusions, requires an unlikely environment that is hospitable and stable.

               Emerald Cut Ruby Medium Pinkish Red 2.82 cts. 9.5 X 6 MMCushion Ruby Deep Red 2.08 cts. 8.5 X 7 MM

But not all inclusions are bad. there are some that are favorable in a ruby. Fluorescent elements that are present during the formation of a ruby will produce a fluorescent stone. Burmese rubies are known to have a strong red fluorescence that improves on the already rich red color. In 3 out of every hundred rubies, the inclusion of rutile needles (also known as silk) produces a favorable optical effect known as asterism. If such a ruby is cut into a cabochon, a 3 or 6 pointed stars will appear and move across the surface.

Rubies and sapphires are variations of the mineral corundum. The distinction between the two gemstones is color. Only red varieties of corundum are considered rubies. All other colors are considered sapphires.

               Oval Ruby Deep Red 4.06 cts. 10 X 8.5 MMRound Ruby Deep Red 2.11 cts. 8 MM

But even in red what exactly is considered red is up for interpretation. Rubies are available in purple-red hues to blue-red to orange-red to pink-red. But if the pink hue is more prominent then the stone gets categorized as a pink sapphire.

Red reaches its optimal saturation at about 80% compared to other colors that reach it in as low as 40%, so the purest red color will be on the darker side. The ideal ruby color is described as a pigeon-blood red or a medium to dark red with a slight purple or blue tint. When set in yellow gold, the yellow counterbalances the blue tint, leaving a stone that is a pure and ideal red.

Up to 95% of rubies undergo some form of treatment, the remaining 5% that are naturally perfect and beautiful command outstanding prices. The most commonly applied treatment is heat and since the process mimics naturally-occurring conditions. Heat treatment without the addition of other minerals universally accepted because it is stable, permanent and requires no special care.

Be first to comment

Leave a Reply